Thursday, July 17, 2008

Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease...not just for cattle anymore

Yup, our little one has come down with a whopping case of HFM Disease. Who knew? Click on the link if you want to read about what the Center for Disease Control (CDC) says about it if you're interested.

Basically, it's a virus that's pretty serious in kids but doesn't really affect adults too badly. It's transmitted by touching surfaces that the infected person has touched. It causes high fever, headaches, and (this is the best part) painful sores/blisters in the mouth, feet and hands.

Great, huh?

Little Maelin is as cranky as she's ever been. She's been running a 103 degree fever since yesterday and it's awful because the medicine isn't doing anything for her. It doesn't even make a dent in her fever. She needs me to hold her constantly which is so exhausting and it makes me feel terrible because I just can't help her! There's nothing I can do.

She won't eat, won't drink, just sits on my lap and makes a sad, pathetic moaning crying sound all day long. She's constantly on the verge of tears and then she coughs which makes her blisters in her throat hurt which makes her cry which makes her all snotty which makes her cough which makes the whole darn thing start all over again.

I told my sister tonight that I finally have some empathy for people who have "high needs babies" because the past two days have been miserable for Kevin and I with this little girl. She's so sad and there's nothing we can do for her...the virus just has to run it's course.

If you're in the neighborhood and you feel like stopping by to listen to some good crying, come by! You can pass me a tissue. :-)

2 comments:

Stina said...

Poor thing! Hopefully she'll get over this quicker than the Dr says it'll last.

Terri : Bradford Web Designs, LLC said...

Kids get the nastiest stuff... poor kiddo. :( So sorry she is sick. I hope you are all doing better soon.