Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Moving with a Baby

...is not fun. Not in the slightest. Let me try to describe to you what our house looks like right now then I'll put a picture up here and you can try to imagine what we've been going through for the past couple of weeks.

Packing with baby around is a joke. You can't do a darn thing. She's so bloody curious and into everything that the minute you get a box out, she hears it and shoots like a cannon over to the box. As she goes, she stops to examine everything and puts it in her mouth. Not a great idea because as we've been packing, we haven't been as careful about baby-proofing as we should be. Maelin has gotten good tastes lately of tape, letter openers, nails, electrical cords from radios and numerous other things. The other day, she crawled over to the fan and stuck her finger in it before I could get to her to stop her. Oh yes...the fan stopped, made a horrible noise, and she looked at me like, "Mommy...what happened? Why does my finger hurt?" Then a HUGE scream and cry. Thankfully, the fan did not chop her hand off and a lesson was learned by all...note to self: put fan on ceiling so she can't reach it.

Back to packing...on the way over to the box I'm packing up, she crawls up other boxes (think of our small 950 sq. feet place. Then think of it covered in boxes...imagine how much space Maelin has to safely crawl around), and finally gets to me with my box. She gets really mad at me because I won't let her get in the box. Then she gets mad and screams at me because I won't give her the tape. Then she gets in the piles of newspapers we have out for packing and throws them everywhere. Then she pulls out the stuff I have ready to pack and rolls around in it all. At this point, I've decided packing is a total waste of time and I just need to play with this darn child.

Needless to say, packing is hard with Maelin around. So today while I was at work (oh yes, contrary to popular belief, teachers DO work during the summer. I was at a training), Kat babysat and Kevin stayed home to get some baby-free packing done. Jeff and Kat have taken Maelin a few times now so we can work and I honestly don't know what we would have done without their help.

Now back to tonight. Baby wants to play. There is, however, no place for baby TO play in our house anymore because of all the boxes that are stacking up. It's a total danger zone for the poor kid. It's totally stressful for us because we can't take our eyes off of her for a second: last night while I was attempting to make dinner, she crawled away and started climbing up one of the piles of boxes so she could reach the microwave cord that was stacked at the very top of the 5 foot pile!

Bonus in all this? We don't have our air-conditioning set up yet. House was 89 degrees today when I came home from work at 5pm.

Can't wait to move...only 8 more days left! Tell me we'll get through it!



This is a picture of our living room before the move...




This is a picture of our living room tonight. Fun times!

No comments: