Friday, June 29, 2007

Where the heck are the cats when you need them?



It’s 3:15am. I’m not awake because of the baby. Oh, I had to wake up at 2am to feed her and put her back to sleep, but she’s been sleeping for about 30 minutes and I’m wide awake. It’s not because I’m listening for her to wake up. It’s not because I have to go to the bathroom, or I had a hard day or I have insomnia.

It’s because of the damn bugs.


Oh yes. It’s moth season in Colorado. The damn things are everywhere. There are two flying around my house right now and every time I get close enough to kill them, they fly away. I have big moths and little moths and obnoxious moths and quiet moths.


How do they get in? Oh, let me tell you. We have a window fan in Maelin’s room and there’s a gap. A miniscule gap, but a gap just the same. A tiny, cute spider set up a web right next to the gap and I left it alone so the spider would catch the moths and the beetles and the gnats and the other big spiders that were coming in. It worked too, but today the cleaning lady came and now the spider web is gone. (darn cleanliness…)


So the reason I’m awake is because I was standing next to my sweet baby’s crib rubbing her back as she fell back asleep and I looked up and not 2 feet away from her head was a huge spider crawling along the wall. Not being one to overreact, I grabbed the first thing I saw that wouldn’t make a ton of noise to kill it which happened to be a diaper (I know, not the best killing weapon). I think I killed it, but since it’s dark in Maelin’s room and I didn’t want to wake her up, I’m not sure I killed it because I couldn’t see very well.


So now I’m standing sentry, guard, protector of my sweet baby. Every time I try to close my eyes, I picture this huge spider crawling down from the wall, into her crib, onto her face and biting away while she sleeps. I even woke Kevin up to tell him that there may be a spider on the loose in his daughter’s room. He didn’t seem too concerned: he said spiders want insects, not baby flesh. He said if I didn’t kill it, it might get some of the moths that are driving me crazy. Then he went right back to sleep, with no worries at all. (HOW does the man do that???)


I’m awake now…no sleep for me. I’m going crazy. There has been a bump on her cheek for about 3 days now: originally I thought it was a baby zit but could it be a spider bite? Now I’ll be up all night. I wonder what’s on TV????


By the way, isn’t this why we have the cats? Why aren’t they taking care of all the bugs??? Where are they??? Oh yeah…they’re sleeping. Good for them. Way to step up, Kitties.

3 comments:

Stina said...

One word for you... flashlight!! Go get one! That way you can search for spiders in the dark and Maelin will never be the wiser.

As for the cats... maybe there's a "kitties catching bugs" class that you can enroll them in. Sassy used to catch moths...now she can't be bothered.

Very funny post though!!!

Martin said...

See Mara
It's divine retribution .......you kicked Gizza & Sophie into touch when Maelin came along and now you want them killing moths!!........You can't have it all..........Seriously i'm glad i'm not there Moths scare the bejesus out of me.........ughh!!


Martin

Unknown said...

I agree with Martin, you reap what you sow......come to think of it though, ol Gozmo there never was much for heavy lifting, aka bug catching was he...Still, serves you right for kicking the poor kitties to the curb!

:)