Sunday, June 24, 2007

Even the best thought-out plans...



We’re starting to have a busy couple of weeks. My brother is getting married in 10 days (wow!) to our really good friend Kat and we have a lot of wedding things coming up. The first was Kat’s bridal shower yesterday. It was Maelin’s first tea party. She was so cute in her dress (that I bought for her back in February: oh yes, I plan ahead…) and I had visions of her in it and being so adorable and being the hit of the shower. Here’s what really happened:


Even though the tea place had A/C, it was still pretty warm. It was close to 100 degrees outside, so I guess there isn’t much the A/C can do against that. Baby is a bit cranky at being in her cute dress (I even forgo the shoes I had bought for the occasion!), so I had to hold her while she took a nap.


We both got warmer and warmer. Baby started sweating through her cute dress (did I mention it had matching bloomers and a matching hat???) and looked really uncomfortable.


Decided to take baby out of cute dress and put her in something that made more sense: a cotton onesie. Baby is immediately happier and starts laughing and kicking.


Wonder why I even bought cute dress to begin with. Hmmmm…we have another party to go to tonight. Kevin’s aunt and uncle have been married 40 years so Maelin can wear cute dress (and shoes and hat) to that party and everyone will think she’s so cute and she’ll be the hit of the anniversary party. Here’s what really happened:


Baby is really sleepy from the tea party so we pull up to the anniversary party and she’s whisked away from me by all her cousins who are dying to see her. They oooooooh and aaaaaaaah over her cute dress for about 2 minutes while she checks them out. Then she proceeds to cry. Grandma Lea comes and takes her and she falls asleep on Grandma. Cute dress is all bunched up: you can’t even see it. She may as well have worn the onesie.


Baby wakes up and immediately starts screaming for food. I take her to the bathroom (where there is a cushioned bench!!!!) to feed her. Baby is antsy because of all the excitement and gets milk all over her cute dress. Now dress is crusty from sweating in it earlier and smelly from milk. I take the shoes and hat and bloomers off at this point.


We go back to the party and baby gets fussy again. Grandpa Larry takes her and she chills out. Again, dress is all bunched up and you can’t even see it. We go to Kevin’s cousin’s house to have some pizza and the minute we get there, baby poos and some gets on cute dress. Grrrrrrrrrrrr…..


Take baby out of cute dress again and put her back in her cotton onesie. Baby is immediately happier and starts laughing and kicking her feet.


Decide cute dress was the biggest waste of money ever and I’ll just dress baby up at home from now on and enjoy her myself. (right….) I’m excited that at least we got some pictures of her in the cute dress.


Get home after putting an extremely tired baby to bed (stayed out waaaaaay too late…let that be a lesson to us!) and checked my camera for picture of baby in cute dress. Realize there isn’t a good one. Not a single pic of Maelin in cute dress where you can actually see it.


Dig dress out of laundry pile at 3am and plan to put it back on her for 2 minutes just to take a picture of her in it, for god’s sake! Check stash of onesies as we’re going to a bbq today and I’m sure we’ll need them!


Hmmmm…I wonder what I’ll have her wear…

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to take lots of pictures of Ryan in his cute outfits even though I know no one else would ever see them or care. I *LIKED* the outfits, and think they will be neat one day to look back on, once the outfits are long gone and remember how cute he was in them.

One of my friends mother saved a ton of her baby clothes and now passes them on to her daughter- it is neat to see these retro looking dresses from the 70's on her. Of course you would need a lot of space to store all that stuff, but maybe if there are just a few outfits you love, save them...you can pass them on someday to Maelin.

Anonymous said...

I should clarify- my friend's mother saved my friend's outfits, when she was a baby, and now the mother passes them on to my friend, so she has them for her little girl.

Anonymous said...

Poor Baby, at least you did get a cute picture of her, and in 15 years she can look back and say "Mom, you dressed me up so cute" and if she doesn't say that, one of us always can.
--Kat

Anonymous said...

OMG that photo was worth EVERYTHING. She is so adorable!! :) Poop stains are 'in'... heehee

Stina said...

With all the pictures we took, not one of them in the cute dress. Funny! She's absolutely precious in the dress. Glad you got a picture. I guess for any future "cute dress outings" we'll take the pictures of her first... OR the rest of us could all wear onsies and be nice and cool! Just a thought.