Wednesday, February 6, 2008

The Yuckiest Thing Ever

So Maelin is a pefect child, right? :-) However, like all perfect kids, she has a few quirks. She likes to eat things that are not toys (Kevin's remote is the current favorite), she likes to pull Gizmo's fur out of his body and scream (he doesn't seem to mind...), and she throws up a lot.

Yup, the kid is a projectile vomiter. Whenever she gets a cold (which seems like every two weeks), the snot pours down her throat and either upsets her stomach or it makes her gag and she throws up.

A Lot.

A few months ago, I was holding her after she ate breakfast. I was all ready to go to work and boom! Maelin threw up all over me. It was even pooled in my bra. I thought that was the worst it could get.

I was wrong.

We were driving to work yesterday on I-25 in the snow. I was concentrating really hard because the roads were bad and I needed to keep both hands on the wheel. I looked up in the mirror and saw Maelin cough and just throw up everywhere. It just kept coming! There wasn't a single thing I could do! I quickly rummaged in the glovebox for some napkins and with one hand reached around to hold the napkin under her mouth and yes, I did catch some but the damage had already been done.

So now we're on I-25 at least 20 minutes away from daycare, Maelin is covered in throw up, I have no more napkins, puke is all over my hand and we're driving in snow which I really need to concentrate on. I was desperately trying to figure out what to do when I looked in the mirror again and saw her putting her hands in the pool of puke that she was sitting in and then squeal and put her whole hand in her mouth.

That did it...I did the only thing I could think of to do. I started crying and called Kevin. Like that's going to help!

So I watched her eat her puke. There was nothing else I could do till we got to Sandra's. She was having a great time...laughing and babbling the whole way. The car was starting to smell, but Maelin didn't care.

Then...yup, she coughed and gagged again and threw up again.

Who's idea was it to have a baby??????

We got to Sandra's and I was full-out crying by now. I was late for work because of the snow so I took baby out and threw her at Sandra who already had a change of clothes ready to go and the wipes to get baby cleaned up. (bless her) I got some paper towels and got to work on the carseat which next to strollers are the WORST things to have to clean. There are nooks and crannies everywhere and thanks to Maelin's culinary activities, the puke was in the belt buckles, on her toys and under her seat because it had soaked through.

The kicker was this: after I got the seat cleaned up (I still had to take it home last night and take the whole thing apart to put it in the washer which is the biggest pain in the @$#%#@ you can imagine...) I went to give baby a hug and tell her I hoped she'd feel okay and I'd leave work in a minute if she needed me.

Guess what Maelin did? No, she didn't throw up on me, but she started crying and pushing me away because she wanted to stay with Sandra.

Fine...stay with her and throw up all over her stuff!

3 comments:

Stina said...

Oh Mara... Holy cow!! What a traumatic morning! The whole thing sounds like the beginning scene of a "stressed out & frazzled mom" movie. Geesh! I’m so sorry you had such a rough morning!

This is one of those memories that when Maelin is 32 and having her first baby, you can laughingly share this story letting her know what a joy she was… breaking your heart by pushing away from you and all the wondrous things she has to look forward to!! I've been told mommy "payback" is fun.

Anonymous said...

Oh jeez...two kids, BOYS at that, and I have never had that happen. Didn't that make YOU want to throw up?

I don't know how I have been so lucky not to have them throw up like that in the car. Cole spit up once and we did have to take his carseat out and clean it, and it is a goddamn pain. But it was just soem breastmilk. Can't imagine the chunks and all...

I think C. is right- one day you will look back and laugh at this. In the meantime, get every old towel you can, and stock pile them under the front seat- next time (hope there isn't one), but if there is, you can whip out a bath towel, and at least put it down on the seats, or have something bigger than a napkin. How yucky!

Terri : Bradford Web Designs, LLC said...

Yuck... so sorry that happened! It is the worst when you are alone and they are so tiny in the backseat.

Hope you guys are doing better!