Friday, February 8, 2008

Sick Again...

Right now poor baby Maelin is getting rocked to sleep by Daddy...and it's not working. She keeps coughing and waking herself up. This has been our life all week.

Our nights look like this:

5:30pm Get home from work and put things away. Try to sit w/ baby and get her to take a quick nap

6:30pm Wake baby up because she's been trying to sleep. She's so tired, but every time she falls asleep, the coughing just wakes her right up and she starts crying. We've now been playing this game for over an hour and she can't take it anymore.

7pm Try to feed baby some dinner. Futile effort because she doesn't feel good, she has NO appetite and is cranky. All she wants to do is have me hold her. So she whines. (and whines and whines and whines)

7:30pm Put baby on floor for some play time. She's actually in a pretty good mood and has about 30 minutes of smiling and fun

8pm Bath. She's cranky when we lift her up, cranky when we change her, whiny when we take her into the bath so we go really fast.

8:15pm Give baby medicine, (fun) put lotion all over cranky baby, (more fun) and use a q-tip to put vaseline in her nose (super fun!)

8:45pm Give baby bottle but she is NOT hungry. Keep trying anyway.

9:15pm Baby has eaten about 1/2 of an ounce so give up bottle. Daddy rocks baby to sleep while I clean up: laundry, pumping, kitchen, toys, etc.

9:45pm Kevin comes out...he feels awful for Maelin. It's so sad...she's sooooo tired and all she wants to do is sleep but she can't! She can't breathe through her stuffy/runny/sneezy nose and as soon as she does fall asleep, the cough wakes her up and she starts crying. Eventually he just stops rocking her and lays her down. We can still hear her coughing, but she's able to put herself back to sleep.

11pm Baby wakes up from the coughing screaming. I run in there (I had JUST fallen asleep) and hold her for a few minutes and put her back down. She's still coughing...

1:30am Baby wakes up again from the coughing screaming. I go get her again (Kevin tried to pick her up and was NOT having that...she wanted mommy) and rock her and settle her back down. She's exhausted...she just can't sleep through the coughing.

3:00am Baby wakes up again...I get her again and hold her on the chair...she eventually falls asleep.

4:00am I'm laying in bed just waiting for her to get up again. I can't sleep because every little noise means I have to wake up.

6:30am Somehow I fell asleep...the alarm is going off. I remember looking at it at 6am, so I must have. I go to get baby and she's rollling around in her crib just moaning.

So that's been the last week...I can still hear her coughing so I doubt tonight will be any different. Poor baby.

No comments: