Thursday, October 30, 2008

Worst Morning Ever

I've officially had the worst morning ever. You won't believe it.

I have a cold so I was up last night from 1am to 5am because I couldn't sleep. You'd probably be amazed that I spent most of that time watching the "Feed the Children" infomercials on TV which are AWFUL. Really, how does only $9 a month help take care of all that horror and poverty?

I digress.

So this morning I was exhausted. Maelin has some sort of funky sickness: a huge sore on her tongue and a weird rash on her diaper area and her tummy. I'm thinking it might be a repeat of Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease or a yeast infection so I make a mental note to call our doctor later. Meanwhile, the poor baby can't drink her morning milk because her tongue hurts and she's crying and screaming and whimpering "Mama" because she doesn't want to get into the car.

I'm feeling awful at this point: exhausted and sad that I can't stay home with my baby like she clearly wants me to. We get in the car to drive to daycare and she's sad and whimpering the whole way. She makes me hold her hand the entire time which doesn't leave me much good for driving.

It's now 8:22am and I'm still about 10 minutes away from daycare, I have to be at work by 8:30am because I have morning playground duty. I'm driving in and out of traffic around all the semi-trucks that are in my school district to try to get to daycare as quickly as possible. Maelin is still holding my hand and crying when I look in my mirror and see a cop behind me with his lights on.

For real??? I pull over and Maelin is still crying. I start crying too. Perfect, I think. Just what we need. As soon as the cop comes over, I start crying and tell him I'm so sorry: I know I was speeding, weaving around the trucks, etc. but I have a sick baby, I'm a teacher and late for the kids, and just hurry up and give me the ticket. He gives me a lecture for a few minutes and I hand over my license and stuff and just keep repeating how sorry I am. He looks at me and asks me what school I work at and I tell him and he says to be more responsible and take it easy and he hopes I have a better day and LETS ME GO!!!!

Crazy!! I say thank you and I apologize again (I think Maelin crying in the backseat helped prove my story) and pull (very slowly and responsibly) away from the curb and continue on my way to daycare. At this point, it's 8:29am and I'm trying to get my school on the phone to tell them to send someone else out for duty (which someone else will love) until I can get there. Then I look up and what do I see??? A train. A very slow moving train. I can't believe it!! I stop and wait....what else can I do at this point? I start crying again.

After about 10 minutes, the train is gone and I finally get Maelin to daycare. I show up at 8:40: I'm usually there at 8am. I throw Maelin at Sandra and try to tell her about her sores and how cranky she is as quickly as I can. Maelin doesn't really want me to leave at first, but then she settles down and is fine.

I finally get to work. My new student teacher is there (why she didn't go outside and fill in for me is another post for another day...let's just say she shouldn't really be a teacher) and I run outside and call Maelin's doctor.

She says she can get us in at 6pm tonight, which is awesome. She thinks Maelin has a yeast infection and wants to look at her sores and her rash. I have to call her back because she might give us medicine over the phone which would be great because today is Kevin's Halloween Parade at work. We don't want to take the little baby if she isn't feeling good.

That was my awful morning. I can smile about it now, but it was horrible and I'm still exhausted and dealing with my very incompetent student teacher and feeling guilty for leaving my sick baby. I know she's in excellent care at Sandra's, but sometimes life is super hard.

This is one of those days. I need a drink. Is it 5 o'clock yet???

2 comments:

A Mama's Blog (Heather) said...

Sorry you had such a bad morning. At least you didn't get a ticket.

What did the doctor say about Maelin? Hope she is feeling better.

Hang in there.

Stina said...

Mornings like that make you want to pick up the phone and cancel your day!

It's not worth driving crazy and ending up in an accident to make up the time on the road. I'm glad you didn't get a ticket!