Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Maelin's New Attitude

I remember when I was pregnant and I was talking to my sister about how badly I wanted a girl and why. I remember what my sister said (who has 2 boys), "Keep in mind that girls seem to have way more drama than boys do..."

I didn't pay that much attention at the time...

Little Miss Maelin has developed QUITE the attitude in the last few weeks. She is sassy, naughty, stubborn and very vocal about what she wants and doesn't want. Here's a few examples of our little princess' behavior:

*This morning I got her up as usual and laid her on the changing table as usual and she HIT me and then started crying and arching her back and shaking her head "no" at me (remember when I thought that was so cute???? not so cute anymore!) So I said "NO" to her in a loud voice because it is NOT okay to hit mommy just because you're mad. She looked at me like I had beat her with a broomstick and started crying her head off with tears and sobs and sucking her thumb. Jeez, I just said "no"...I didn't whip her with wet noodles!

So I picked her up and calmed her down and laid her down again and guess what? She hit me again! So I said "NO" in a loud voice. More crying and sobbing and hiccuping and sucking her thumb. I felt like a terrible mommy at this point: I only get about 30 minutes w/ her in the morning before I have to take her to daycare and this is how we're spending it? So I laid her down again and gave her one of her favorite toys to occupy her while I changed her. What did my little angel do? She THREW the toy across the room and hit me again!!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I said "NO" again and just let her cry while I changed her. The whole time she was screaming and sobbing and hiccuping and it was like I was boiling her alive. As soon as I was done, I picked her up and she immediately stopped. She was totally fine and saying "Da-da" and waving at Kevin and laughing.

*Here's another example: She was trying to crawl into her room the other day and she got stuck on the rug. Kevin lifted her up and moved her about 2 inches over the rug and she acted like he had thrown her across the room: she cried and screamed and put her head on the floor and kicked her feet and it took (soooooo not kidding here) about 8 minutes for us to calm her down. She was mad because she didn't want to be helped: she wanted to do it herself!

Some friends have suggested making a "Naughty Spot" for her but I'm thinking she might be too young for that. I think we're just going to have to be consistent and pick our battles and realize that although adorable and sweet, our little angel seems to have quite the stubborn mind of her own. Wonder where she got that from?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my...she is her mother's daughter isnt' she? :-) Just kidding...okay I'm not. hee, hee.

For what it is worth, Ryan & Cole both went through stages like that-especially like you said when Kevin moved her from her spot. This is prime time for them to try to figure things out. You'll get used to when to just leave her alone, and when she really needs help.

Neither boy has hit me though that young, so I am sure she has some of that attitude. :-) I also don't think a naughty spot works right now- she is too young to understand why she would be in a spot, and it probably wouldn't even have an impact on her.

However, it is amazing how fast they learn if I do A, then B happens. Dr. Phill said once every kid has their price- you just have to find it.

W/ Ryan, he hates having his toys taken away, and Cole hates having to sit in his crib. (of course now he can get out of his crib, so I am going to have to find something else.) If M. does something naughty, take a toy away from her and tell her why you are taking the toy away. Again, you'll figure out what works and what doesn't.

It is never ending- welcome to the toddler years!