Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Life of a 2nd Grade Teacher

So as I was getting some work done this morning, one of my former students (she's in 4th grade now) comes up to me and says, "Mrs C, do you want a kitten?" I say, "Why?" and she unzips her coat and out pops an adorable TINY baby gray kitten!!!

Whoa....I think. I ask her why, how is that kitten here in school? She says it was in the middle of the road last night and she ran out from her house to stop a car from running it over! She brought it in and her dad said they couldn't keep it and to just bring it to school in the morning so the teachers could take care of it.

Nice...thanks dad. Way to pass the buck.

So I take her and the kitten (who is sooooooooo cute!!!!) into my room after telling my principal the story and getting a thing of milk from the cafeteria. We close the door and my student is crying because she doesn't know what's going to happen to this little kitty. I tell her it's okay: I'll call animal control and they'll come pick her up and someone would love to adopt a baby kitty.

I call animal control and the baby kitty is running around my room exploring and mewing...it's is DARNED cute. So tiny.

All my kids come in when the bell rings and I warn them about the kitty and tell them to stay quiet. Easier said than done when you're talking about Autistic kids and ADHD kids and there's a cute kitty exploring the room! They were really good and tried not to disturb the kitty.

I called animal control and they said they would come soon. I tried to get the kids to read while we waited, but no such luck. The kitty was way more entertaining! (I don't blame them...) Finally, the PE teacher came in and she said, "OOOOOOOOhhhhh...my husband and I were talking about adopting a kitten!" I told her take this one...you'll skip the adoption fees! She said she had to call her husband and she'd let me know. I told her to hurry cause the officers were on their way.

Happy ending...the PE teacher IS taking the kitty home today and she'll have a great home with them. It doesn't always end up like that. I talked to the kids about how you can always take unwanted pets to the shelters and you should never just let them go.

Suffice it to say, we didn't get much done today. Now I have to cancel other stuff we were going to do this afternoon to make it up. At least one homeless kitty in the world now has a home!

No comments: