Wednesday, August 22, 2007

We Love You Grandma Lea!

This is Kevin's mom, Lea. She's amazing. Kevin's dad and mom divorced when he was about 3 so Lea was a single mom to Kevin and his brother most of their lives. She worked full time and was always available to both of them.

As a mother-in-law, she's fabulous. She's like my 2nd mom. I can pretty much go to her for about anything. I know I'm really lucky. Maelin loves her grandma Lea and although she lives in Boulder and it's a good drive to see her, we try to do it every few weeks because we really want them to be close.

Lea is battling skin cancer. She had surgery for it last year and now it's back. She had her 2nd surgery yesterday and is so far doing great! They had to remove quite a bit of scalp (the cancer is on her part in her hair...let that be a lesson to all of us who never wear hats outside!) and it burrowed its way into her scalp. The doctors think they got it all this time, so we're keeping the faith that they are right. It's going to be a rough few months of recovery for her (she may have to have radiation and will probably need reconstructive surgery), but we're confidant she'll be okay.

Please keep Lea and everyone else that is going through a hard time right now in your thoughts. In the day-to-day minutiae of life, we tend to forget what's really important. Having healthy, happy family and friends around you is the most important thing of all...not whether or not your blow dryer is working (see post below...) or if you're having a rough day on the job.

We love you Grandma Lea!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how scary! I hope all goes well and I will keep her in my prayers... (((HUGS))) Cancer doesn't seem to discriminate, does it?! A good friend in my neighborhood had skin cancer (saw it with my own eyes right inside her lip - talk about scary!) she didn't know what it was at the time but it was "all of the sudden there" ... later that week she called me and told me it was skin cancer. She had surgery as well and is cancer-free now for over a year. It was and eye opener for sure... hope she heals quickly.