Monday, June 1, 2009

Field Day

We had a great field day today! It started out pretty gloomy: very cloudy and misty like it was going to rain any minute. The kiddos were a bit disappointed because it seemed like field day may actually be canceled. However, things brightened up when...

Sgt. Alex from the Air Force and 4 other officers came back to hang out with us! For those of you who remember, Sgt. Alex and the Air Force officers are so important to my kids. They were the ones who answered my call for school supplies, clothes, toys and games last Christmas. They showed up in my classroom in December with all sorts of games, toys, presents, etc. and brought us all to tears. For a recap of that amazing day, click here.

So we were getting ready to go outside to Field Day today and who showed up again?? Sgt. Alex and his friends! My kiddos cheered and cheered and we all went outside. We had a great time. The kids had so much fun doing all the different games and relays and the officers did them right along with us. We all played tug-of-war together and the potato sack relay and climbed the rock wall and gave high-fives to the winners and cheered everyone on. We had a great day.

I just love how some adults answer the call to help our kids. The kiddos I teach are amongst the "have-nots" in our society and it breaks my heart every day that I can't help them more than I can. I love that just by giving up a little of their time, these officers are making a huge difference in the lives of these kids. Every child in my room was beaming and feeling special and important because these very important men took time out of their lives to spend with them.

Days like these I love my job. There's no where else I'd rather be.

Thanks Sgt. Alex, Sgt. Troy, Sgt. Chad, Cptn. Levi and Cptn. Jacob. These kids will remember you forever. And so will I.


1 comment:

A Mama's Blog (Heather) said...

I can't say enough good things about these Air Force Officers- they have hearts of gold. :-)