Saturday, June 13, 2009

Cancer Surgery Update

My sister has had her surgery and is now on the slow road to recovery. Her surgery actually went better than was expected: it only lasted 6 hours and she didn't have any affected lymph nodes on the right side of her neck like the surgeon had originally thought. Therefore, she has only lost all feeling on the left side of her neck. That's a really good thing. Her scar is smaller than they thought it would be as well.

She's resting now. Her pain level is an average of 4 (from 1-10) and we're all taking turns being here at the hospital with her. Maelin is not handling this very well: she woke up screaming this morning and is extremely clingy and upset. She can tell something is happening and mommy just isn't around like she is supposed to be.

There are so many heart-warming stories I could share with you about all this. I could tell you about the friend who drove 2 hours to bring my family dinner (complete with desert and wine) while we were waiting in the ICU during Heather's surgery. I could tell you about the countless messages of support we've all received...most from people we barely know. I could tell you about the wonderful care and love we've gotten from the outstanding nurses and doctors who are so critical to Heather's recovery. I could tell you about the coffee that was delivered late at night for us, the help with Maelin that's been offered, the dinners that have been yet to be cooked but are on their way, the housecleaning that's coming and the hundreds of messages of "We're thinking of you" that my family has received.

It's amazing and humbling. Every time I open my email or check my phone, there's more of them. People have offered to give up their precious resources and free time to come to the hospital and show my family a bit of their generosity and spirit.

To all of you I offer a very heart-felt "THANK YOU" from Heather, my parents, my siblings and I. We couldn't have made it through this as well as we have without you. The road to recovery for Heather is going to be long and painful but it will be brightened by all of you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'll be praying be for your sister & family, and fighting right along with her. (and my sister's blogging about my journey, too.)

Terri : Bradford Web Designs, LLC said...

So glad the worst part is over for her... as far as surgery goes. I hope she is healing well (and fast). I am thinking and praying for you and your family. Take care of yourself, too. ((HUGS))