Wednesday, April 30, 2008

To Retain or Not To Retain...Update

Just got back from my retention meeting for my poor little 2nd grader who spells nest like "musused". I met w/ the child psychologist, the principal and vice principal and the literacy coaches from the district. It was pretty intimidating.

Anyway, there is a "retention checklist" that I didn't know about that we fill out as a team and depending on the score the child gets that tells us whether or not she is a good candidate for retention. My 2nd grader scored pretty low on it which showed she was an excellent candidate so the decision was made by the team to keep her in 2nd grade for one more year.

Then the principal told me it was my job to call the parents to let them know. That was a fun phone call to make. I never want to do that again. The mom was fine, not mad or anything but upset and angry at the situation...it's something no parent wants to hear but it will be so much better for this girl to start fresh next year learning the basics instead of being expected to perform at a 3rd grade level and being frustrated that she can't.

Good times in public school!

No comments: