Friday, April 25, 2008

Babies Really Cramp Your Style...



Happy Birthday Auntie Kat!! (that's a picture of Kat at the Coliseum in Rome...isn't she cute?)

I was supposed to go hang w/ Kat and a bunch of friends out at a cool happy hour place tonight...I was looking forward to it all week. Kevin was going to babysit and everything.

However...

Baby is still sick. She's got our cold and she's still got a fever from her shots last week. I picked her up from daycare and she was miserable...Sandra hadn't been able to get her to sleep much and she was just cranky and snotty and crying and clingy. She fell asleep in the car so I called Kat and told her I was going to go home and give her a quick nap and then I'd meet her out a bit later...

After the "quick nap" (an hour and a half), Maelin was not feeling any better. In fact, she was the grouchiest I've ever seen her. She was crying for no reason, would NOT let me put her down even to blow my nose (I'm still sick too), she wouldn't eat, wouldn't drink her water, wouldn't play, nothing.

So I called Kat again and told her how sorry I was to bail on her birthday fun, but I couldn't leave baby so sick. I wouldn't do that to her or to Kevin. Kat was very sweet and understanding but I'm pissed off.

I know it happens...kids get sick and plans get changed. I'm just mad because I hardly EVER get to go out w/ friends anymore because we're all busy, I'm usually really tired from work or I want to hang out w/ Maelin, etc. This was something I was really looking forward to and Kat's birthday only comes once a year. Last year, Maelin was only 3 weeks old so I couldn't do anything w/ her...

Maelin just now went to sleep. It's almost 11pm. Poor thing...she was coughing and feverish and just not a happy baby. It's too late to go meet Kat so I told her maybe we could get dinner tomorrow or something if Maelin feels better.

Boy...back in the day (ie: pre-Maelin) I was out all the time...almost every night. Now I plan one night to go out in 3 weeks and that gets canceled. Maybe I should just start planning birthday happy hours at my house!

1 comment:

Terri : Bradford Web Designs, LLC said...

Life just changes after having kids. Hopefully you can see why I have been not so "available" to go out with friends as much as I would like... The time you invest in Maelin with come back to you tenfold. Be sure of that, if nothing else, in this life.