Saturday, September 15, 2007

It Was Bound To Happen...

I knew it would happen eventually. I was just hoping I could ward it off for a bit longer. One of the things that I knew would come has come.

I've gotten sick. Shocking, huh?

I think I have either a really bad cold or a touch of the flu. At work yesterday, I almost fell asleep while pumping (with my head on the copy machine) and I alternated between my teeth chattering and sweating. I have a really bad cough and I feel like my entire body has been beaten with a baseball bat.

I never thought pre-baby how lucky I was when I was sick to be able to just be sick. This is what my night would have looked like last year before Maelin had I come down with this:

Pre-Baby Sick Activities

5:30pm Come home and lay on the couch. Cover up with 2 or 3 blankets and watch crappy TV. Maybe take a catnap or two.

7:00pm Send Kevin out for dinner and really act it up how crappy I felt so I could get some sympathy from him.

8:00pm Continue strenuous laying-on-couch activities. Sophie would get up there with me and we'd stretch out and enjoy ourselves.

9:00pm Take a long, hot bath.

10:00pm Have Kevin make me some tea and finally go to bed. Sleep as best as I could while coughing and don't wake up until 10am or so.

10:00am Call some friends and complain how tired I am.

That's a laugh now. There is no rest time when you have a 5 month old and you're sick. This is what my night did look like last night:

Post-Baby Sick Activities

5:30pm Sit on the chair w/ Maelin and feed her. The whole time she's eating, I'm starting to nod off. Pray that Kevin gets home soon because I'm really feeling weak and run-down and I don't want to get the baby sick.

5:45pm Maelin falls asleep. I try to close my eyes as well, but I'm freezing. I didn't think to get a blanket on me before she fell asleep.

6:30pm Kevin comes home and he's brought soup. Thank the lord. Maelin has woken up now so he takes her so I can eat. I'm still freezing and shaking and exhausted.

7:30pm I lay on the couch for about 10 minutes huddled in a baby blanket trying to warm up. I hear the baby squealing and cooing in the next room and I'm really mad I'm sick because I missed her horribly this week and I just wanted to play with her.

8:30pm The baby gets a bath. I could have left this job to Kevin and gone and taken a bath myself (see pre-baby activities) but I love giving MaeMae her bath. She's so cute and I don't want to miss it. I prop myself up on the counter so I don't fall over while she's in the sink.

9:00pm We feed baby one last time and I take her in to rock her to sleep. I nod off again while doing this. Thank goodness she's tired because she falls asleep in about 20 minutes.

9:30pm I go to bed. Praying that this is one of the nights Maelin decides to sleep the whole night through.

5:00am I hear the baby talking in her crib. She's so cute. I'm feeling a bit better and I'm so happy she didn't wake up throughout the night and I go get her to feed her. Kevin gets up and puts her back to sleep so I can sleep some more.

7:00am Baby is up. She doesn't realize it's a Saturday and therefore we sleep in. She's ready to play. So much for sleeping in.

I know I'll be able to take a nap later today because Kevin is here so I'm feeling okay right now. I think I'm just totally run-down (I wonder how that happened?) and exhausted. I'll try to use the weekend to catch up on my sleep and rest.

Keep your fingers crossed that Maelin doesn't catch this...

1 comment:

Stina said...

Maelin's Mommy has to take of Mommy too... somehow?! Gotta love the burning the candle from both ends syndrome. I hope you feel better soon!!