Sunday, February 8, 2009

The Crazy Days of a 2nd Grade Teacher

Haven't written much lately about teaching: ever since I went back after xmas break, I've just been trying to keep my head above water. Lately though, it's been a bit more crazy than usual.

Here is a quick list of what last week looked like for me and what this week has in store: enjoy living the life of a teacher!

*Went to a conference last Friday on Behavior Needs for students. It was a great conference, but I had to take extensive notes because I'm presenting the information that I learned to the school staff on Tuesday morning. I need to present 8 hours worth of information in 15 minutes: in a valuable way. Fun.

*Had to make sub plans for when I was gone. Took about an hour of time I didn't have after school

*Another training all day Saturday on how to best teach English-language-learners how to write. Unlike other jobs, teachers often put in extra time during the weekends and during the summer learning new techniques, updating their licenses, etc.

*Spent Sunday playing with Maelin since I hadn't seen her all week and getting laundry and errands done

*Monday was crazy: as it always is after a sub. Had to clean up the room, put all the stuff away, have the kids write apology notes to the sub for misbehaving and get them back into learning mode

*Meeting on Tuesday with our principal about the conference and what I was going to present to the staff

*Made appointments for 2 parents to have a conference since they hadn't shown up for conferences 2 weeks ago

*Waited for parents to come for the conferences on Wed after school: again, they never showed up

*Got to school early on Wed morning (Maelin loved that) for a special ed staffing. These are required for our special ed kids once a year and we do them on our own time and do not get paid for them. Have another one next Wednesday morning

*Thursday night was Science Night: had to stay till 7pm and run science experiments with the kids and the families that show up. I was able to bring Maelin with me but because she would have destroyed our science stuff, she hung out in the Kindergarten room and had a great time

*Friday was awful. Kids were off the wall and lying to me and hitting each other and crying and throwing up (literally) all over the room. The school secretary blames it on how nice the weather has been lately. She says the kids are having early spring fever

*Tomorrow is going to be crazy. Have to get ready for my presentation on Tuesday and one of the parents who didn't show up last week said they're coming tomorrow to talk to me. We'll see

*Tuesday is presentation when it's over I'll be so glad!

*Wednesday is going to be nuts. I'm going out of town this weekend, so I have two days of sub plans to write, copies to make, etc. Have to make sure every single second of both days are accounted for. I also have another special ed staffing on Wednesday to get ready for: which means I need to spend Tuesday doing some testing and evaluating so I'm ready for it. And...we have a visitor coming all day Wed afternoon who wants to observe.

That's just work. I'm still a full-time Mommy who has to make sure Maelin's teeth aren't hurting her too bad and the bathrooms are clean and laundry is done and bills are paid and shopping is done and get everything packed for our trip this weekend. I'm having panic attacks that I'm going to forget diapers or something this weekend.

Oh...and I'm starting my own business on the side! Like I have nothing else to do! I'm super passionate about it and I'm not going to be a millionaire, but I 100% believe in what I'm going to be doing. I'll post about it later but right now: I need to get busy!

Next time you think to yourself how easy teachers have it because they get "All That Time Off", remember my last few weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just remember that they have stores where you are going, so if you forget diapers or something, you can get some more! And don't forget to breathe! Let me know if we can help