Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Mistakes Parents Make


I was going to title this post, "Mistakes NEW Parents Make" but I decided that was a cop-out and I wanted to own the fact that I screwed up tonight w/ my little girl.

She's a full-blown toddler now with ideas of her own. She is as stubborn as can be and she only wants to do what she wants to do when she wants to do it. Most of the time, it's pretty cute and we pick our battles with her but the time that's proving the most frustrating is dinner time.

For some reason, our little sunshine does NOT want to eat dinner. Maybe she's just not hungry...ever. Maybe she's pissed off that she's confined in her chair. The doctor says it's a phase and just make her eat a few bites and then let her go...she'll eat when she's hungry. We've tried doing that but it's so hard to only let your child eat one bite of dinner when you KNOW she's going to be cranky in 45 minutes! Oh the stress of an opinionated 17 month old!

So anyway, we've had some issues during dinner time. The worst is when Maelin gets so mad and fed up with us that she tries to hit us. That landed her in her first time-out ever about 2 weeks ago: we put her in the "naughty spot" and said "no hitting Mommy!" and left her there for 1 minute (it's supposed to be 1 minute for every year). She cried and cried like her heart was breaking...it was actually pretty funny. Then when I went to get her, my darling girl wouldn't come to me. She was mad, her feelings were hurt that I had the nerve to punish her and she shook her head "no" at me and ran into her room. That was pretty funny too. Of course, 3 minutes later, we were best friends again.

So tonight was a rough night. I had an awful day at work today: nothing super notable, just a hard day with hard kids and hard expectations from the administration that are impossible to meet. I came home exhausted and just wanted to play with Maelin for a while. Nope...she wanted to be outside. She screamed and cried and eventually calmed down but then we were both not in the best mood.

Daddy came home and took her outside while I made dinner. She's been soooo picky lately so I've been trying new stuff to see what she'll eat and what she won't. I made her old standby: mac n cheese with some veggies and tuna, hoping she might like it. I went outside to get her and she did NOT want to come in for dinner. She tried to hit me and shook her head "no" at me and tried to run away.

At this point, I was angry at her. I'm exhausted too and I just want us to eat dinner like normal people: I don't need this drama! So I said "Fine Maelin, bye." (I know, not the most mature) and went in the house. I saw her from the window just crying her eyes out like she wanted me...tears streaming down her face. So I went back out to get her. Nope...she still tried to hit me and run away.

Too bad...who's the parent here, anyway? I scooped her up and took her into the house with her wailing the entire time like I was beating her. I finally got her calmed down and into her high chair for dinner. I served her the mac n cheese/tuna/veggie combo and waited for a reaction.

She did NOT want to eat. Kept shaking her head "no" at me, turning away, hitting the air, screeching, and whining. Okay, stay calm, I was thinking. Kevin got the ranch dressing because lately, that's been the best way to get her to try something new. We dipped a noodle (no tuna or veggies) into the ranch and she did eat that. Then nothing....she didn't want a thing.

She started throwing the food and smashing it all over the place. I said "No!" to her in a loud voice so she would know we were serious about table manners. She scrunched up her face and looked like I had just beat her with a stick. She starting crying....and crying....and crying.

18 minutes later, Kevin and I are watching our little drama-queen daughter in a tantrum. She was screaming and crying and I think by this point, she was so worked up, she didn't know what to do with herself. So I got a washcloth to clean her up (from all the very rude food-throwing) so I could get her out and she tried to slap me and made a big "uuuuuhhh" noise like she was very angry!

She was trying to hit me...for real this time. Not because she was trying to get away, but because she was mad. That is NOT okay with me so I turned her around in her chair so she was sitting in the corner and Kevin said "No hitting!" and we left her there and went into the kitchen.

She was NOT happy...screaming and wailing and yelling and tears and snot everywhere. Good grief. We left her in the chair for about a minute then I went and I had to hold her arms down so I could clean her up and then I took her in her room to rock and cuddle her to calm her down. She was sobbing and hiccuping and very upset. It took about 20 minutes to get her back to normal.

I was wiped out by this point, so Kevin was playing with her while we talked about her antics. Kevin and I do not want children that hit, yell and disrespect their parents so we thought we had done the right thing...maybe we had.

Around 8pm, our little one was so crabby that I thought I would just put her to bed early. Then I saw a banana that she hadn't finished earlier from her snack. Hmmmmmm...I thought. Maybe she was just hungry and didn't like the tuna smell (like I don't) during dinner and that's what all the fuss was about???

I gave her a bite of banana and it was like the poor kid hadn't eaten in a week. She ate the whole banana: which has never happened before. She only ever eats 1/2 of it at a time. Then she drank a full glass of milk and had 3 graham crackers.

So that was it...she was HUNGRY and didn't like the tuna! That's why she was hitting me and throwing the food around. She wasn't trying to be naughty: she was trying to communicate the only way she knew how. Then when we didn't understand and got mad at her, she lost it.

I felt awful. I still feel awful. I know in the grand scheme of things, it's not that big of a deal. However, I was exhausted from work and wasn't really thinking things through: after dealing with 28 kids all day, you don't come home with an awful lot of energy left to deal with your own.

I know this won't be the last mistake Kevin and I make in this wild parenting thing but I sure wish it was. This little person deserves parents who DO have the energy to figure things out when she needs it...

If anyone wants to leave a message about the parenting mistakes you might have made, I'd feel better. I'm going to go make her a great lunch for tomorrow to make it up to her.

4 comments:

A Mama's Blog (Heather) said...

Don't feel too bad...every parent makes these kinds of mistakes. It is so hard before they can talk- you just don't know.

Since R. is such a picky eater, C. has turned into one too. I just put a lot of little things on their plates, and make them take a few bites of each. R. will now eat more new things than he did, and C. is trying things too.

I guess I'd say, don't force her to eat anything right now- I really think this is an age where they start becoming picky about what goes in their mouth. Sometimes they like the food, but don't like the texture.

The more I try to get C. to eat something the more he resists. Then if I walk away, a few minutes later, I see him eating it. He just wants to be the one to decide when he eats it, not me.

Maybe put a few things out for Maelin in different colors, and texture, and she'll find something she likes. As she gets bigger, you can ease her in to eating what you are, but I don't think I know of one person whose young kids eat the same things they do.

We had spicy burritos tonight- no way the boys would eat that, so they had a few slices of deli ham cut up, watermelon, cheese, and tortillas.

Don't feel too bad- every one does this. In honor of you, I'm going to write my own blog post about my bad parenting moment. :-)

A Mama's Blog (Heather) said...

Here's the link to my parenting mistake.

http://amamasblog.com/2008/09/26/parenting-mistakes/

Terri : Bradford Web Designs, LLC said...

Don't be so hard on yourself. Honestly most kids are picky and food is always a battle. They do eat when they are hungry... and go through phases where they won't eat well for a few days, then they eat everything in sight. The latter is more now and Bay is not so much a picky eater... it takes them more than a few times of introduction to a food (and sometimes different ages) for them to truly decide if they don't like something.

None of us are perfect parents. Our kids teach us SO much patience and give us back what we invest into them tenfold.

With that said, I am NOT looking forward to having a teenager... I'd rather have a toddler back. LOL! ;)

Stina said...

Not being a parent, I may not be qualified to answer this one... but I remember seeing Jessica Seinfelds's (Jerry's wife) book about hiding pureed nutrition in her kid's food. It might be worth checking out.

http://www.deceptivelydelicious.com/site/

Good luck!! I hope it gets better!