Friday, August 29, 2008

I'm back...for now

Sorry it's been so long since my last post. I have exactly 10 minutes before the kids come in so I thought I'd give you a quick update of everything that's going on. Since we're coming up on a long weekend, (YAY!!!) I'll have some time to post some pictures soon so check back!

**We took Maelin up to the mountains for the first time for a camping trip (we didn't sleep over...just stayed till bedtime) last weekend and she had a ball! She was so filthy from playing in the dirt, chasing her cousins, throwing rocks in the river and she was adorable! I'll post some pictures of that soon cause it was so great to see her enjoying the outdoors so much.

**School is really hard. Having 28 kids is much tougher than I ever thought it could be. How do you keep them all quiet when there's so many? There isn't any room for their backpacks, so they're all thrown in a heap in the corner. There are so many desks that there isn't any room for them to sit and listen to a read-aloud so we all cram into the space between the desks. There are so many kids, when we line up to go somewhere, the line stretches about 35 feet down the hall and I can't monitor what's going on. Most of my kiddos are very sweet and smart but I have one that I can't BELIEVE is in 2nd grade. He can't write his name. I'm serious. He has no idea how to spell his name and he has no number sense at all. (when I asked him to show me a 4, he pointed to a 56.) How am I going to have time to give him what he needs? How am I going to have time to challenge my "smart" kids as well?

**That's about it for now. Maelin isn't enjoying daycare as much as she did last year because her friend Andrew is only going on Fridays now because he has preschool. I think she gets lonely for other kids and she clings to me and cries. It's heartbreaking. Today was great because Andrew was there and she squealed when she saw him and they started chasing each other. She didn't even notice when I left which was wonderful. Normally I have to sneak out and she usually notices and starts crying and I can hear her from my car. Wonderful.

Okay, so that's the 10 minute update. I promise to post some pics of Miss Maelin this weekend...so check back soon!

p.s. How about that Obama speech? We could see the fireworks from our backyard! :-)

No comments: