Saturday, August 16, 2008

The Amazing Amount of Work Teaching Is...

I knew it was going to be a lot of work to set up my classroom this year. In addition to the normal start-of-year stuff we have to do, we got air-conditioning this summer so we had to pack up everything (and I mean everything) in our classrooms. All posters, pictures, etc. had to be packed up.

Now we have to put everything back. I literally have at least 2 weeks of work to do to get my room in some resemblance of order before the kids get here. Here is a list of stuff I HAVE to do by Wednesday when the kids come:

*Unpack 30+ boxes of books and supplies

*Put all bulletin boards back together

*Clean room of construction dust

*Unpack and organize brand-new curriculum of BOTH math and reading...this is about 300+ books, workbooks, etc.

*Make lesson plans for when kids get here

*Set up classroom: move desks, get school supplies organized (I buy about 1/2 of the supplies for my kids because they can't afford to do it)

*Plan for when kids get here...complete lesson plans, copies, handouts, letter for parents, etc.

It's crazy. I have tomorrow afternoon (we are in training all morning) and most of Tuesday because the kids arrive on Wed. In the past, I would just stay late and get it all done. Can't do that anymore because of a certain little toddler that doesn't want to stay at Sandra's all day long.

Kevin and I both went in for a few hours on Saturday morning to try to make some sense of the madness. (Jeff and Kat watched Maelin) My teacher desk is broken, my white board and alphabet are completely gone (don't know where they went), my laptop cart is gone, my teacher chair is gone and I have to find all my computer supplies because they've disappeared too.

Good fun!



Here's a picture of what my room looked like AFTER I spent 4 hours last Wednesday putting books away. This is after I did a bit of work. Imagine how much more it's going to take...(I'll try to remember to post a picture of the "after" when I get it back in order. Keep your fingers crossed that I get it all done by Wednesday at 9am!)

No comments: