Monday, October 15, 2007

Our Night Out Without Baby!

Kevin and I have been feeling really house-bound and isolated lately so I called my good friend Emily who has asked to babysit and got her to come over on Sat evening so Kevin and I could go out and pretend we are child-less for one night. Emily was happy to do it and we are SO lucky to have such great friends who we can trust with the baby who live close by who can babysit for us.


We got Kat and Jeff to go with us and we went to dinner at 730 South which is a kind-of upscale Chili's. I had a glass of wine at the bar while we waited for our table and then we had an adult dinner where I only thought of the baby once (okay, maybe twice). Then we went to the Wash Park Grill to have a drink at the bar but they were too crowded so we went over to Reivers. We sat and chatted and played video Bowling (can you believe the video games have credit card slots now?????) and watched the Av's game.

We really had a nice time being out and being slightly dressed up and acting like adults, but the problem is that once you're a parent, you are always a parent. There is no "break". I had the phone out the whole time (I only called home one time to see how she was doing...for the record, she was a bit out-of-sorts but doing okay), I was exhausted and by 8:45pm I was ready for bed. We stayed out till about 10:15pm and then went home because I was so tired and couldn't have taken much more! Good thing for me Kat and Kevin weren't feeling great either so I wasn't the only one who had had enough.

We walked in and Mae Mae and Emily were sitting on the couch watching Maelin's Baby Einstein video. She was so cute...Emily said they had a good time but Maelin was a bit cranky and didn't want to sleep so they stayed up and watched her movie together. It was so cute to come home and see the living room torn apart because they needed more room to play and see them sitting together.

I know it wasn't easy for me to be gone from my baby...especially since I'm gone from her so much during the week, and it wasn't easy for Maelin to be with someone new but I'm so glad we did it. I want so much for Maelin to be comfortable with the people who love her (ie: our friends and family) and to know that Mommy does leave sometimes but always comes home.

We had a great time but deep down, I missed my baby and wanted to be at home. I just wish I didn't work so much...I may have to do something about that before the 08-09 school year starts. Let me know if you have any ideas!

No comments: