Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Christmas Help Needed!!

Hello all my friends and family,

It's that time of year again, Christmas time! It is such an exciting time for Mae and I at home! As I muddle through the stress that is daily life, I sometimes forget how lucky Maelin and I are. We go home to a warm home. Mae has plenty of clothes and food and toys and isn’t really lacking anything.

Please take a moment to read the following letter and possibly even forward it along if you see fit:
I work in a very impoverished school district. At last count, my school is over 95% free and reduced lunch, and our annual residential turnover (how quickly kids come and go) is 36%. (which means kids are constantly moving, staying with relatives, switching schools, etc…)

To put it bluntly: I have 24 8-year-old kids. 2 of them are homeless: they either live in shelters or with other family members. Most of them don't have their own coats, boots or enough food to eat at night. They are constantly asking for “more breakfast please” and they tend to save some of the snacks we get to take home to their siblings. The school provides free breakfast and lunch that we serve every day and for some of my students this is the only time they even get to eat. Two of my kids have family members (a mom or dad or brother) in jail, and the vast majority of my kids don't have enough books, pencils, paper or even crayons at home to do their homework.

It's not that all of the parents are deadbeats or don't care: I've met all my parents and most of them are devoted to their kids and passionate that their kids MAKE IT: they want their kids to rise above their situation and become better than they themselves have it.

I'm making a passionate plea to all of you: I know we are all tightening our belts this holiday season, just like the last few years, but if you could find it in your hearts to sponsor a child, so this Christmas every child in my class gets at least one present this holiday, I would be eternally grateful. There is nothing more heartwarming than the smile on a child's face when they are used to getting nothing (which reinforces to them that they don't matter and they don't deserve anything) and someone, somewhere, shows that they care about that child and that they MATTER to someone.

I hope the pictures, cards, and notes that you’ve read over the last few years lets you know how much YOU and YOUR HELP has made a difference to these kids. I still have kiddos from the upper grades come back and tell me that “2nd grade was the best Christmas ever! Remember we got all the books and toys?” Comments like that show that we ARE making a difference to these kids. And I’m so excited to do it again.

To share a quick story about this with you, I’ve had 3 students every year in my class from the same family. They live with grandma as both parents are in jail. Grandma works at the Hostess bakery here in Commerce City, so you can imagine what kind of budget they’re on. The girls are amazing, bright students and grandma was doing a great job with them. She came to me last spring and said something like, “Ms. Corzine, you need to know that you are my girls’ angel. You have made them smile every Christmas for the last 3 years and they talk about you all the time. Shania wants to be a teacher just like you because of the role model you are for them. Thank you for being here for my girls. You and people like you are the reasons my girls will make it.” I gave her a huge hug and filed that one away in the reasons I teach where I do.

This summer, I found out grandma passed away from liver cancer. I don’t know where the girls are now. I’m hoping they are well and the lessons they learned from all of us and grandma are sticking with them. I have a basket of goodies here in my room for them WHEN I see them again that I’ve collected from all of you over the years. I’m hopeful one day I can give it to them.

I've included some sayings from my kids' writings when I asked them to write about what they wanted/needed this holiday season: (I didn't edit their responses)

"I nned some math cards and things for my baby sister cuz she don’t hav close.”
“I would like some books please because I want to be smart when I grow up to be a smart doctor and sciencetest.”
“I would like bots to kep my fet out of the snow. The snow is cold.”
“Dear Santa, Pleese bring me some glases because I candt see. It would be grate to see.”
“Warm pj’s would keepe me warm at nite.”


I wanted to scan in all of the cute pictures but for time sake, I think you get the picture. Very few of them asked for things that most kids would ask for…

Here's the deal: My principal and I thought if I sent this email to everyone on my address list and you forwarded it on to your friends, we just might be able to get every child one thing that they want. We'll take anything EXCEPT cash/checks. Gift cards to TARGET would be the most helpful because we could trade them in for gifts.
If you'd really like to donate books and be sure that's where your gift was going, you can make your check out to SCHOLASTIC BOOKS and I will be sure to use it for that. We'd also love any books, school supplies, etc. I will make sure every child in my class will get something new this Christmas and hopefully, fill up their little hearts with a small amount of joy in the process.

Please send what you can to:
Alsup Elementary School
c/o Mara Corzine
7101 Birch Street
Commerce City, CO 80022

I'm here to tell you that all of us together can make a difference for these kids. They make me smile and laugh everyday with their unbreakable spirit, kind hearts and laughter. I assure you that even a pair of gloves and a book from a stranger matters to an 8 year old. They get a sparkle in their eyes. I need to get any donations by Friday December 9th to ensure I can go shopping and get things ready before the kids leave for break on the 15th!

I thank you in advance for your action and your caring. I wish all of you an amazing holiday season with your families and friends.
Warmest thanks for your time and thoughtfulness….

Mara

p.s. Some of you have been asking for class stats, so here they are: 14 boys, 11 girls. I have boot, coat, and clothes sizes so email/message me if you’d like that information. Thank you!!

p.p.s UPDATE: A dear friend has created a gift list online at Walmart if it's easier for you to click on this link and have a gift sent directly to the school. If that's not your thing, Target Gift Cards in any amount will help get the individual needs met. Thank you!

6 comments:

Ms. Mara Kimling said...

I am beyond humbled, amazed, and touched at all the offers of help and donations I've received in just the past few hours. From new glasses, to an 8th grader in Boulder whose class wants to adopt my kids, to a nurse in Aurora who is having her entire department donate toys, to the mom in Nebraska who is sewing shirts for every kid, to the random strangers who have already put gift cards in the mail, to the Air Force officers who want to visit the entire 2nd grade:

"Thank you" doesn't seem like enough. But "thank you" anyway. I hope the pictures I will post when everything starts rolling in will express the emotion better than I can.

SylvarWolf said...

Made a Walmart wishlist for these kiddos. If you cannot buy something from the list, feel free to buy a gift card in whatever denomination you can afford. Thank you!
http://www.walmart.com/giftregistry/gr_detail.do?registryId=26773161125

Lisa M Forrest said...

Teachers & Classroom Assistants like yourselves should be applauded! I feel so unbelievably lucky to have everything I need for both me and my little boy and to know he will enjoy opening his presents this year.
I am a single parent and though I find it a struggle to make sure my boy has everything he needs and (within reason) wants; I cannot even begin to imagine how difficult it must be as a parent, seeing your child want things and need things and knowing there is no way you can provide these things.
My one gift may not be much but I hope that if every person who reads this also donates one gift then EVERY child will have a wonerful Christmas this year!
Paying it forward is the best way to show children that there are people out there who do care and that if we each do one small thing then our combined small efforts become immeasurable!

Lisa M Forrest (UK)

SylvarWolf said...

Thank you Lisa. I felt the same way. We're about as poor as church mice, but we have a home and wonderful people in our lives that help us make sure our lives are rich and full.
For those who want to help and are not in the US, here's a link to the Amazon.com wish list:
http://amzn.com/w/33P1R35SJ0UUJ
Thank you to everyone who is helping, it means the world to these kids.

Ms. Mara Kimling said...

Thanks Lisa. I really don't think I'm doing all that much. It's just amazing to me how many people care about these kids and want them to have one day with a smile. It's incredible and you, Sonya, and everyone like you are the ones doing it.

Don R said...

http://good360.org/

FYI