Thursday, November 10, 2011

Back To My Roots...


Lifetime member. Troupe #1674. Card-carrying Thespian. One of the things I loved most about high school was being a member of the drama group. I made amazing, life-long friends, was able to dance, sing, yell, scream, laugh, cry, and perform many different types of roles to my heart's content. Performances, plays, theater will always be one of my very first loves.

Well, it seems I have an opportunity to put some of that fun to work! Our elementary school has found a VERY small amount of funds for us to put on our very first play! The First Annual Alsup Drama Club! And guess who they asked to help with it...yup! So very excited.

We have no budget. We have a script borrowed from another school. We have volunteers helping after school to run rehearsals. We have students helping after school to paint scenery. We have no auditorium, so we'll set up folding chairs in the gym. We have "actors" who have NEVER performed in front of an audience larger than their own classrooms before. We have students getting ready for tryouts who can't even practice at home much because their parents don't speak enough English to be of help to them...

No matter. "For the love of the theater...", we have dozens of kiddos who are super excited and already preparing their tryouts. For me. The person who will want to choose every single one of them for just having the guts to get up in front of 3 teachers and possibly be eliminated. For a silly, elementary school play.

That's passion and I'm so thrilled to be able to be a part of it. So here we go: twice a week rehearsals after school and performance scheduled for February. My old Thespian Troupe from Centaurus would be pretty proud of me now.

No comments: