Thursday, January 8, 2009

Our Smart Little Girl



I'm not a fan of bragging. I also think that every parent thinks their child is amazing, a genius, gorgeous and/or talented. However, we all know that there are a lot of funny looking, not smart and couldn't carry a tune kids in this world so SOMEONE has to be bragging a bit...or stretching the truth a tad.

As this is my blog and you have the complete right to stop reading right now, I'm going to brag just a bit. My daughter is a genius.

She's only 21 months old and she knows ALL her ABC's. She knows them backwards and forwards. If she sees a random x somewhere, she points to it and says "sssssxxsss". She knows what it is. Just now we were playing with her 52 piece ABC puzzle and she knew EVERY letter. She went right to every single one (lower case and upper case), said its name and then said something that letter started with. Example: M was for "moke" (milk). A was for "appl". She knows them!! It's totally crazy. My friend Kate teaches kindergarten and she's always talking about how she gets kids who are 5+ years old who don't know what letter their name starts with or what the color red looks like. My 21 month old can do light dances around those kids! (which is actually pretty sad, if you think about it)

I have a quick story to emphasize my point and prove that I'm NOT stretching the truth. We were at the Children's Museum on Sunday for my nephew Ryan's birthday. We were playing with a computer and a little boy who was about 4 or so and his daddy were playing with us. The daddy was trying to get the little boy to find the letter "D" on the keyboard. He was saying, "Find D...D for Donovan!" He kept saying it over and over and the little boy was pointing to random letters...first he tried A and then S and then P (which I thought was pretty good because P does look a bit like D) and the Daddy was saying, "No, that's not D...where's D?"

Maelin was probably getting a bit tired of this because after about 2 minutes of them looking for "D", she looked at the boy and reached across him and hit the letter "D" and said, "D!" Then she looked at me and went back to playing with the computer.

The Daddy started laughing and said, "Wow...how old is she??" I didn't want him to feel bad so I said she was 2. He said, "Boy...girl genius!!" I smiled and said, "At some things...she still eats dirt!" to make it seem like I wasn't bragging, but deep inside I was.

Look at my little girl...showing the 4 year old how to find his letters!!! If there was a way to do a little tap dance then and there, believe me, I would have. (not really). I'm just so stinkin' proud of my smart little girl.

I'm not foolish enough to think that this means she's going to get a scholarship to Harvard or something ridiculous like that, but a parent can dream, can't I??? Maybe she won't be a genius all her life, but that won't stop me from being excited about it for now!!!


p.s. She also knows all her numbers...in English and in Spanish. :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Impressive, and I don't think your'e bragging! maybe we have a "gifted" little girl here? And if she loves Disneyland as much as we do,we'll know she's a genius!!
;-))
Mom/Nana

Stina said...

The story with the 4 year old is great!! I think that father probably went home and drilled his son on his letters, numbers, and colors for a couple hours.

Yeah Maelin!