Friday, November 14, 2008

What My Class Wants For Christmas...Can You Help?

I work in a very impoverished school district. At last count, my school is over 94% free and reduced lunch, 74% Hispanic, 22% White, and our annual residential turnover (how quickly kids come and go) is 26%.

To put that into perspective, the school that is by my house (which Maelin will probably go to) is 26% free and reduced lunch, 9% Hispanic, 85% White, and our annual residential turnover is 4%.

To put it bluntly: I have 26 8-year-old kids. 7 of them are homeless: they either live in shelters or with other family members. Most of them don't have their own coats, boots or enough food to eat at night. 5 of my kids' families have lost their jobs recently in the tough economic times we are facing and their futures look even more bleak. The school lunch and breakfast that we serve every day is the only times a few of my kids even get to eat. Five of my kids have family members (a mom or dad or brother) in jail, 2 just lost their cars and have no transportation and the vast majority of my kids don't have enough books, pencils, paper or even crayons at home to do their homework.

It's not that the parents are deadbeats or don't care: I've met all my parents and you've never seen a group of parents that are more devoted to their kids and passionate that their kids MAKE IT: they want their kids to rise above their situation and become better than they themselves have it.

I'm making a passionate plea to all of you: I know we are all tightening our belts this holiday season, but if you could find it in your hearts to sponser a child so this Christmas every child in my class gets at least one present this holiday, I would be eternally grateful. There is nothing more heartwarming than the smile on a child's face when they are used to getting nothing (which reinforces to them that they don't matter and they don't deserve anything) and someone, somewhere, shows that they care about that child and that they MATTER to someone.

I've included some sayings from my kids' writings when I asked them to write about what they hoped for this holiday season: (I didn't edit their responses...)

"...I need some socks because all mine have holes in them."

"...I would like two blankets because my house gets cold."

"...I would like a dol becasue I really want one."

"...in the store, I would like new shoes."

"...I need some pencils at home because I don't half any and I half to wait until my couzin is done with his homework. Also his homework has a lot of pages to do and it takes forever and ever and I don't get to finish not much of my homework."

"...a beautiful, red, sparkly dress. Like a princess."

"a Bratz Babby"

"Operation Hulk"

"...a bike so I don't have to share with my brother and cuzzin."

"...I would like a nice dress that comes with a crown."

"...chapter books at home because I can onlee read the baby books of my brother."


Here's the deal: We'll take anything EXCEPT cash/checks. Gift cards to Wal-Mart would be the most helpful because we could trade them in for gifts and the Wal-Mart here in Commerce City gives us tax-exempt status. We'd also love any chapter books, school supplies, etc. My student teacher and I will take care of making sure every child in my class will get something new this Christmas.

Please send what you can to:

Alsup Elementary School
c/o Mara Corzine
7101 Birch Street
Commerce City, CO 80022

Again, thank you for caring about these kids. Anything you can send us will be greatly appreciated!! Let's show these kids that people do care about them and that they matter!!

1 comment:

Terri : Bradford Web Designs, LLC said...

Posted this on my blog as well for you... hoping to help spread the word. Hope it helps! :)