Monday, November 16, 2009

"I Don't Need Anything, Except Some Shoes."

Those of you who have been following this blog for a while probably remember the amazing, heartwarming story last Christmas of the outpouring of generosity and love I received for the students in my class. If you don't remember, or you're a new reader, click here for the rundown of what happened last year.

I decided I wasn't going to sit back and watch my kids go through another holiday season receiving absolutely nothing. I was going to try to make a difference (it's why I do what I do, after all) and at least try to do something about it.

And it worked. Oh my gosh, it worked. That day last year in my classroom will forever go down as one of the greatest days in my life.

Well, here we are again. This year might even be more desperate than last year due to the economy and budget cuts everywhere you turn. In a nutshell: I work in a very impoverished school district. Over 95% of our kiddos qualify for the free and reduced lunch program. We have a huge homeless population and have many kids who only eat at school every day. I had been tossing around the idea of trying to organize this whole gift thing again and the thought of it was a bit exhausting. It was so much work last year (totally worth it), and I just didn't know if I had it in me again this time around.

However, two things happened that changed my mind. The first is my wonderful friend Sgt. Alex contacted me and said he and his base wants to contribute this year again to my students...but they want to make it bigger! They want to get gifts to the entire 2nd grade! When he called me and told me that, I thought if he is willing to go to all that trouble for kiddos he's never even met, then I can surely do my part as well. The second thing that changed my mind is what follows: we had our 2nd graders write some letters to Santa asking for what they would like for Christmas. If it's even possible, they are even sadder this year than they were last. Here are a few excerpts from them: (I'm not going to edit anything they say...typos and all)

"I nide food for my famli beause my dad has a boss woo doesnt want him to work anymor."

"...a penciles and an eraser because I have none."

"...two pair of shoos because my are ripet on the botom. I also need a bed because I never had one."

"...I would like some pencils because I am allmost done and I only hav the one pencil. I want a cote and a good life. It is hard."

"...I don't want nothing but my sider needs a coat."

"...a Hannah Montana doll because it is fun to play with dolls and I've always wanted one but only mi sister has a doll and when I wanted a doll mi mom said we didn't have enuf money yet for a doll."

"...I neeb food and socks becaue my socks all have holls."

"......I need some new sock and shoes because mine sock are riped back at home."

"...and I want a good book to read at my house."

"...I want to hav shoes and cluz for my sister and me."

"...I would please like to have some more frute and some glofs because I did not have some before."

"...I don't need anything but please get my teacher Mssis Corzine some books for the classroom because we ripped her books."


Now this is just a few of the replies. Imagine 110 letters...almost every single one of them is just like this. I've actually got tears in my eyes as I sit here in my nice warm house, working on my laptop, tripping over all of Maelin's toys and I can't even fathom what it would be like as a parent to not be able to afford fruit for my child. Or shoes. Or a pencil. Or socks. Or not be able to bundle them up in a coat when it's cold outside. To watch them trudge away in ripped socks, holey shoes and no coat when it's 20 degrees outside.

So again, I'm making my passionate plea to all of you: you were so incredibly generous last year and I'm hoping we can get even a fraction of that again this year. Here's the deal: We'll take anything EXCEPT cash/checks. Gift cards to Wal-Mart would be the most helpful because we could trade them in for gifts and the Wal-Mart here in Commerce City gives us tax-exempt status. We'd also love any chapter books, school supplies, etc. I will take care of making sure every child in the entire 2nd grade will get something new this Christmas.

Please send what you can to:

Alsup Elementary School
c/o Mara Corzine
7101 Birch Street
Commerce City, CO 80022

I'll need everything in the school by December 14 so I can have time to wrap and distribute. Again, thank you for caring about these kids. Anything you can send us will be greatly appreciated!! Let's show these kids that people do care about them and that they matter!!

2 comments:

Scylla said...

That you so much for letting us know. I am also tearing up at my laptop thinking about my blessings and wishing there was more I could do.

I will order a walmart gift card straight away and get out to the store for a few handpicked goodies.

Ms. Mara Kimling said...

We received our first Christmas donation today for the students in my school. If you'd like to get involved, please click on http://teachingmommy14.blogspot.com/2009/11/i-dont-need-anything-except-some-shoes.html to link to my blog to find out what you can do. This made me tear up so I thought I'd share: (it's from someone I've never met before in my life....)

This letter and a gift card to Wal-Mart was in my box today:

"Dear Mrs. Corzine,
I read about the plight of your students after a friend of mine read your sister's blog and knew I had to step up and help too. Thank you so much for doing all that you are and thank you for teaching these children that they MATTER and that even perfect strangers know that...even without ever meeting them.

Most Sincerely,
The Kessner Family"